Wednesday, December 06, 2006

He wouldn’t leave her alone, but...

Walking through the supermarket today, in the cereal section of all places, a handsome couple were in the midst of a battle.

Boy: “…I want to kill you! Did you f..k him or not?”

Girl: “How many times do I need to tell you, NO!”

While rummaging through the Frosted Flakes, not wanting to eavesdrop, thinking the situation could explode at any a second, I continued to look at Tony the Tiger on the cereal box,
attempting to seem like a serious shopper. The battle moved on…

Boy: “So, you didn’t f..k him but everyone in the school knows about it except me!”

Girl: “I’ve had enough, Tom, yes, I slept with the idiot, are you happy?”

Boy: “Happy! Happy…I’m f..ken delirious!”

Once told the truth the boy went into meltdown, destroying the cereal section of the supermarket. By the time he was done or held back by the supermarket staff, we stood in a sea of cereal up to our knees of every brand imaginable.

The police finally arrived and carted the jealous, cuckold lover away.

The police spoke to the young girl in order to establish the boy’s motivations for destroying the place.

I couldn’t hear what she was saying but it felt to be a lie. She had got what she wanted. Her current boyfriend in jail, thus free to pursue other interests.

I know this because of her smile as she walked to her car with an expression on her face of self-appreciation: she had got what she wanted.

Watching the police car drive out of the parking lot with that expression of desperation and betrayal on the boy’s face, made me remember my past, my betrayals, my lost loves.

Another afternoon in the suburbs.

No comments: