Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Singing Thanks of a Bird.




It was a day one would like to forget. Sick with a temperature, my sinuses infected, in pain and feeling guilty because I needed to be at work, end of year school reports, last minute grading, the troubles of individuals – but I could not get out of bed. I took a pill and went back to bed. Then my mobile phone rang, disturbing a crazy dream.

“Sorry Craig, I hate doing this but it’s important.”

My boss, one of the Assistant Principals, a good person and a very hard and loyal person, someone who has never phoned me, no matter what the crisis, was on the end of the line.

Through my nasal infected head, my voice sounding like a hay fever advertisement,

“It’s ok Jude, what’s up?”

“There is a problem with your Year 10 reports…”

At that precise second a bird flew into my bedroom, frantically circulating the ceiling above my bed.

“You’re not going to believe this Judy, but there’s bird flying around my bedroom!”

“I know…I can hear it!”

“Listen, I’ll call you back.”

The little bird had been taken into the house by Molly my little cat, because I had forgotten to feed them, dazed in my sick physical state.

After hanging up, the little Black bird with huge yellow eyes landed on the top of my bookcase next to my medieval helmet.

The little bird sat there, motionless, except for a turn of his head, looking at me.

Molly had disappeared thus the little flying creature seemed to have calmed down, moving into shock mode.

Grabbing a towel, I approached the little one with silent caution.

Whispering, I said, “Let me see…well your feet look in good shape. There doesn’t seem to be any major wounds and your wings are in good shape as well, which is the most important thing.”

The little bird cocked his head to one side, relaxing and curiously settled.

“This is what I’m going to do. I’ll wrap you in this towel and set you free.”

The bird’s head tilted the other way, looked at me with his other eye, not really understanding what I was communicating, though my tone, to him, seemed reasonable under the circumstances.

“Ok, here we go…”

He let me wrap his body in the towel, only squirming a little. Walking to my front door, opening the screen with my foot, opening the towel, the bird shot straight and fast like a rocket – the fastest flying maneuver I had ever seen in my life!

Needless to say, I went back to bed and called my boss, hoping we could solve the problem over the phone.

Then only a few days later the miraculous happened.

After dinner, writing emails, at dusk, the most beautiful singing from a bird could be heard outside my front door.

Walking outside, there he was, the same bird, perched on the chimney next door, singing a beautiful song.

His singing was pleasant to the ear, an intention behind the song, something truly beautiful.

Thinking I was most likely being crazy, at the exact time the next evening, there he was again, singing the same mesmerizing song. I sat down on the porch with my wine and listened until he finished and flew away…like a rocket.

The little bird has not returned because I’ve been watching out for him.

I told this story to my special students at school and they now call me the “Bird Whisperer.”

The little guy thanked me for saving his life, and I believe this because it is true.

Believe it or not, it happend.

No comments: