Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Green Manifestation in the Sky.


It was in the summer of 1967, walking towards home after visiting a friend, where, looking up in the sky, a deep green object hovered above without the slightest movement, as if stagnate, placed, a "thing" not of this world. The sighting did not frighten me at all, but brought on feelings of exuberance, a strong energy of absolute vigour.

As a young boy at the time, through my innocence, anything was possible.

It continued to remain motionless, this deep, green blob in the sky.

To ensure I was not hallucinating, I looked around the street for someone to corroborate this vision, proof that I wasn't merely "seeing things".

It was that time of the day when the sun is about to disappear, a warm summer dusk.

Looking around, not one person could be seen, all inside at this beautiful time when day turns to night. It's a lovely evening, I thought, where is everybody?

My stare turned upward again, and the green blob continued to remain stagnate for all the world to see.

I began to run as fast as possible towards home. Out of breath, bending over and placing my hands on my knees, finally home, I looked up at the sky and the green blob had left as if it was never there in the first place.

Told mother and sister about the sighting and they nodded their heads as if to say, "You've been seeing things all your life, what's so different now?"

It is now thirty years later, in my Year 10 English class on a hot afternoon without air -conditioning.

On these occassions, students simply do not want to work: friday, last period, hot as heck and re-learning "conjunctions" is out of the question.

"Tell us one of your stories, Mr. M?"

I've been telling this particular English class stories the entire term because it stimulates discussion - true life stories and some concerning the supernatural.

"As I recall, this story was during my time living in Brighton in a haunted house..."


"Has anyone else experienced something out of the ordinary?"

The class was silent, unusual for that time of day. Then, one of my shy students, Rachael, raised her hand.

"Believe it or not, and I don't care if you believe me, but I saw something in the sky that shouldn't have been there...I was around 11 years of age, and in the sky was this dark green "thing", that didn't move; it looked like a big, green blob. I looked around to see if anyone was around to see it too, but no-one...then it disappeared. But I swear I saw it and I'll never forget it!"

A chill went down my spine as I sat on the desk in front of the class. All their eyes turned to me as my expression must have been a little strange.

Then Andrew piped-up, "Have you seen the same thing, Mr. M?"

Reluctantly, I admitted to have had seen something very similar at age eleven, and have never heard about it for thirty years, until Rachael told her story.

The class was very silent, then burst into animation as it was only a few seconds before the bell to ring, to begin their weekend.

The bell rang and I duly dismissed the class. Rachael stayed behind and asked,

"Did you really see that "thing"?

I merely nodded.

She left the classroom with the biggest smile on her face - at last, some kind of corroboration.

'At least I'm not the only crazy person in the world.'

This green manifestation in the sky has never appeared again.






No comments: