Tuesday, March 04, 2008

"Modern Impressionism?"

This spectacular painting is by the Russian artist, Andrian Bersenev (1963 -) is simply entiled "Nu".

Bersenev completed his post graduate studies and currently is a teacher at the I.E. Repin's Institute in Russia.

What style does the painting represent? - Post Impressionism, Neo Impressionism, Modern Impressionism, Realism/Impressionism or is the painting in a catagory on its own?

Certainly the use of bright and rich colour and the effect of looking through an unfocused lens, lends itself to all these catagories. However, for me, there's something "new" in this work - something magical as if we truly are viewing this beautiful model through Bersenev's eyes - it pulsates realism though paradoxically, in a dream-like fashion.

There is a feeling of "freshness" in the work though the painting "appears" to be emulating Impressionism, but a soft voice in my mind whispers its not...

When coming across this painting I was, in no uncertain terms, startled! As the cliche goes, the painting felt to reach out and grab me by the neck and pull my body and spirit into its world.

If you have the time or opportunity, search for this Russian's work, and every painting, though very different in subject matter, has that same effect...

Never a great fan of "Impressionism", however this work is astounding.

3 comments:

Lady C said...

This painting is definitely warm and rich and to which resonates the strokes and the lady in the picture.

More over, it leaves a good impression on me.

Art lover,
CY (from amazon)

C. Middleton said...

Thank you, Cy. I love Art, however this new artist has a hold on me. Very cool.

C. Middleton said...

Thanks Cy.

This man's art has somehow drawn my soul into his world. Amazing.

C.Middleton
from Amazon.com