Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Writing.


A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?

George Orwell


Orwell did not write his two master pieces (Animal Farm, 1984) until close to the end of his short life; leaving the planet at 47 from a severe lung disease. But he often said that to be a writer that does not write at least 50,000 words a day should give the task away.

What was he saying?

To be a good writer or perhaps a great writer, like all the arts, practice and hard work are the sure fire paths to success. (The term "success" is another topic altogether.)

Orwell did not decide to be a writer until he was in his late 20's. But once the decision was made, he tackled the task like a man possessed. He wrote thousands of letters and articles, commentaries, novels, treatises and, for the most part, was politically minded. (Anti-fascist, Anti-communist) Many, many political pieces...

Apart from his novels and political articles, his favourite subject was the Art of Writing itself.

If one scans his books and articles will all too often come across a few words of advice about his method, his system, his philosophy on what makes good writing.

Paraphrased: have a clear topic and contention in mind; know exactly your audience; avoid unnecessary "big" words when a more familure one will do.

As another great writer said (Dostoyevski), write from your heart, believe, write with passion, and the reader will connect...if only for a moment.

Writing is like all the arts, practice improves, but like all creative endevours, discipline is the key.

The other night at a night club, or more a late night bar, I played the guitar for the customers, one song, and after the performance, had a few pats on the back. Then, later, a young university student asked my age, and appeared to be impressed with my so-called "experienced" life, and asked, "What is your PASSION?"

He expected me to say music, then I said, writing, to write a good piece is my passion, no matter a BLOG, letter, essay or novel. I've been DRAWN to write for the last twenty-five years; mostly crap, but it's my crap...and I simply continue to do it.

In the end, really, I desire my work to be read, but it is the act itself that gives me the most pleasure.

Orwell lived a short life though his body of work is still being sorted through by academics and historians, because writing was his passion, and he wrote every day...and the pages go on and on.

Writing is my passion.

I believe to have a passion in one's life is important; somehow passion gives us Meaning to our lives in this huge universe.










No comments: