Friday, November 10, 2006

Glasses mysteriously disappear…could it be the Borrowers?

Arrived home the other night around 9pm after a great dinner with a friend, and went straight to my computer to write a review on a film that bubbled below the surface throughout the evening. It has always been this way. An idea incubates below conscious awareness to then surface, and writing it down then and there is absolutely necessary…before it can possibly vanish.

The review turned out to be pure garbage, and no amount of editing could fix the damn thing; so, around midnight, gave up, turned off the machine and went to bed.

I distinctly remember thinking that I was too tired to read, leaving my glasses next to the computer.

Over sleeping on a Monday morning can and will turn the most calm individual into a panic-stricken idiot…bouncing off the walls, brushing teeth with face cream, and feeding the cat expensive Red Salmon. Well, opened my eyes to the clock displaying 8am, jumping off the bed like a chimpanzee with arthritis, stubbing my toe and falling into the shower to extremely cold water. (However this did wake me up) Finally dressed, shaven and coffee mug in hand, reached for my glasses to find them not there.

‘This cannot be happening.’ I thought.

I put the little buggers right next to the machine…or did I?

Of course I did…so where in the hell are they!?

Time is ticking by, as it does, and looking in every conceivable place, the glasses cannot be found.

As my job requires me to see, read and function, without my glasses the day would become a dysfunctional affair.

The problem was simple: I had set my glasses next to the lap-top after finishing my writing for the day as I have done for sometime. Now, for some strange reason, they had vanished.

Over the months, objects such as keys, hair brushes, wine glasses, particular books and can openers have mysteriously disappeared to then reappear after a few days in the oddest of places. Jokingly we have come to call this phenomenon the work of the Borrowers – an urban legend that spirits, fairies, poltergeists’ or whatever you want to label them, take objects away, and after a few days, return the object, putting it in a place that one would never expect to find it: like a Bic lighter on the toilet or a book in the refrigerator.

The mysterious disappearance of my glasses was odd and driving to work with an old pair, minus one arm, (which managed to get me through the day) pushed my thinking in the direction that it could be the work of some supernatural force.

All said and done, really, I much prefer a rational explanation as opposed to an irrational one. And, for the most part, my thinking and awareness of the world is clear and pretty much straight forward, thus the ‘Borrower’ explanation was out of the question…or was it?

A few days passed and there still was no sign of my glasses. Just as I was about to reach for the phone to make an optometrist appointment, walked into Lou’s room searching for a book she had been reading that sounded interesting, to discover my glasses on her night stand. Let me make this clear, I never go into Lou’s room for any reason. In fact, this had been the first time in months. Needless to say, there lay my glasses, folded and neatly sitting by the lamp.

A short time later, Lou came home to be confronted with accusations of theft or at least a practical joke. No, she said, I swear I did not touch them as God is my witness. Lou never lies, ever, so I believed her.

How did my glasses end up on her night stand and why had she not noticed them over the few days they had ‘vanished’? Well, she claims the glasses were not there over the few days as she had done her cleaning the day before.

Most people would dismiss this occurrence as an oddity and move on, though the phenomenon occasionally repeats itself with no logical explanation.

One good thing about this, these objects do indeed vanish but are returned in a few days, therefore the label, “The Borrowers”.

No comments: