Sunday, October 28, 2007

“Anguish”

In my early college period before attaining any “degrees”, I thought it necessary to enrol in classes like “Art Appreciation”.

As any university student will tell you, undergraduate work is like a smorgasbord of endless choices of study. It was at that long ago time that I came across “Anguish”, and realized, why art is in the world.

When seeing this painting in the original, a few weeks ago at the National Art Gallery of Victoria, turning in an innocent motion while gazing in a dazed state of mind: became awe struck, the painting literally created a pain in my gut, stunned me, the blood drained from my face and a tear rolled down my cheek – I couldn’t move…

The baby Lamb is dead. Mother sheep continues to do her duty and protect her young child despite her little one being obviously dead.

The crows gather and wait and will continue to wait until she gives up and permit the mob to devourer her baby.

This mono copy does not in any way do the work justice, but as its theme is strong, relates the message that the painter wanted, and that is, the world can be a terrible place: one on one for one’s survival. However this painting takes this notion further and that is, the instinctive Love of a Mother and Child.

We see the cold breath from her mouth, as the mother calls for Help. But she is alone and there is no hope because the lamb is already dead.

This is certainly "anguish" in its purist and most repulsive form.

ALBRECHT SCHENCK (1828-1901)

No comments: