Monday, October 29, 2007

"Princess Tarakanova"


This beautiful painting (oil of canvas) created in 1864 by the Russian neo-classical artist, Konstantin Flavitsky; (1830-1866) truly and emotively depicts the princesses’ utter anguish as her room fills slowly with water.

This is a relatively unknown painting by many, however, more importantly, the tale behind the image is vague at best and only when the Soviet Union in 1980 created a postage stamp of the painting, commemorating the 150th anniversary of Flativsky's birth, that interest in the work’s history began in earnest.

What is known, however, is that the princess was imprisoned in the Peter and Paul Fortress in Saint Petersburg during the time of the city’s great flood – this story is only a legend: the painting, showing her standing on top of her bed to avoid death, her anguish is plainly evident.

The legend tells that she was the daughter of Aleksey Grigorievich Razumovsky and Elizabeth of Russia. Why this beautiful young woman is in a prison cellar during the great flood is a mystery.

Personally I find this painting spellbinding, putting my spirit wholly into the scene, and wanting to save this poor and beautiful damsel in distress.

Perhaps it is my all too Romantic sensibilities coming to the fore.

I believe the painting currently resides in the Russian museum of Saint Petersburg.

Absolutely captivating…





2 comments:

Unknown said...

The painting from when I last saw it was in Moscow in the Tretyakov Gallery (May 2006).

I was completely spellbound by this painting and stood in awe for at least 10 minutes without saying a word (and I don't care for art that much).

If you haven't seen it in person - do yourself a favour and do so...

Henry J. Kraven said...

Marvelous Midd, just marvelous. I try to view as many great paintings as I can, and I will say this one, the one of the Princess, has become my favorite...thank you so much for telling the story of why she is in the cell...Henery Cariffinhill (facebook name)