Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Invisible Appears


In a former entry, I described a strange woman on my street, as if she wished to be invisible. I was worried because I hadn’t seen her walking past my window for at least a week.

All too often, the aged and lonely pass away or get very sick and are unable to call for help or are not discovered for weeks, months and in some cases, years.

Some of us would rather put these “types” in the Denial Department, thus their invisibility.

Well, lo and behold, on my way home from work today, their she was: green and plastic shopping bag in hands, that thick, ratty old blue coat and long woolen dress (it was very hot today!); her greasy hair wrapped around her face looking at the ground as she walked along the road.

I felt relief but saddend at the same time.

Why?

I was too concerned about getting home to check my mail and feed my cats rather than find out where she lives (if in fact she has a home) so as to ensure that in a time of crises, she will not be forgotten.

All too often, our own lives of day to day monotony or self created drama, fail to see what or who is directly in front of us.

I do believe the dictum that if you think your life is bad; check out your fellow human’s, and suddenly your own problems pail in comparison.

I am happy to know she is at least out and about, but it is taking that little step further that makes all the difference.

No comments: