Friday, January 18, 2008

The Invisible

There is a woman who lives on my street that walks by my window three to four times a week. She wears the same heavy old green coat no matter the temperture. Her hair is straight and noticably greesy covering her face, as her head is always pointed to the ground. She walks at an even pace and intuitively, I perceive she desires to be invisible...and to most, she is...

Was it the American Transcendetalist, Henry David Thoreau, who said that most people live lives of quiet desperation?

The woman appears to be around forty years of age, living alone, talking to no one; is it her choice to be alone?

Is she mentally ill? Would she run away if approached? No one seems to pay attention to her though she walks every day to the shops with her green bags, looking very sad.

The problem is that I have not seen her for a few days.

If we do not have loved one’s or family, to die alone, she would not be discovered for a long time.

My thought is to discover her abode and pay attention. Watch her to ensure this does not occur.

Because, all said and done, she is not invisible to me.

No comments: