Saturday, September 22, 2007

Oscar Wilde in the depths of Love Lost


In a letter to his Lover:
"You came to me to to learn the pleasure of life, and the pleasure of Art.
Perhaps I've chosen to teach you something much more wonderful - the meaning of sorrow and its beauty."

Your Affectionate Friend,
Oscar Wilde


"The wallpaper and I are fighting a dual to the death; one of us must go."

A diary entry while in Paris after leaving the Reading Gaol- alone, destitute and very poor.

"If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life.”
My favourite Love quote from Mr. Wilde, because those that truly love someone ...will always wait.

"The heart was made to be broken”

This I believe to be true.

Oscar Wilde: a true romantic, a tragic poet and a man of LOVE.





3 comments:

Damon Young said...

Speaking of sharp wit, cruelty and vanity, I heartily recommend Of Bright and Dark, a play by Christopher Lawrence.

The protagonist is Byron himself, and the dialogue is as sharp and funny as you'd expect.

What's wholly unexpected is the arresting tangle of love, hatred, and the brutality of self-knowing genius.

It's not Wilde, and nor should it be.

C. Middleton said...

As Byron is the protagonist, should be interesting.

So how in the hell are you?

Damon Young said...

Yep, Byron as the anti-hero. Well worth reading.

I'm well, mate. I could do with a fresh c-3/4 disc in my neck, but apart from that, I'm doing fine. Nikos is flourishing (if you couldn't tell from my blog), and Ruth's growing ever lovelier.

How are you?