Friday, September 08, 2006

Adolescent Love & Spring


Spent two hours last night writing an article of the American occupation in Iraq. As it was very late in the evening, I must have pushed the wrong button, and I lost the damn thing! Attempted to re-write it this morning, but it's not the same, lacking the emotional fervour of the original. I might try again at a later date.

In my Year 9 English class, the students are writing daily diaries, including date, time of writing and their emotional state at the time of writing. This exercise has always been popular with the girls, however much less so for the boys. Spent this morning reading through them, and it never ceases to astound me the sheer intensity of adolescent love. I remember as a child being told that we were too young to know"real" love. This, of course, is absurd. Adolescent love is pure, all encompassing, extremely passionate and painful...and it is real.

The Year 10's are reading "Romeo and Juliet' an adolescent love/tragedy of huge sigificance. Everytime I read the last scene, my emotional response never changes, a deep sadness. And who in their right mind would argue with the bard supreme, William Shakespeare?

My plan this weekend was to edit chapter three of my novel, however my week at school has been so full-on, that sitting on the couch and reading is about all Im up for...we'll see.

It is a beautiful, crisp morning and the air has a champagne quality to it. I might drag Loui away from her reading and go for a long walk and enjoy the weather.

Emotional State: Serene.

No comments: