Sunday, September 24, 2006

What is Genius?


There is a wonderful story about the composer Beethoven, and his music publisher coming to his door while the Master was composing. The maestro answered the door, his hair frazzled, his eyes wide and black, telling his publisher that he merely needed to finish a few notes, and he would be back in a matter of moments.

Three hours passed as Beethoven's publisher sat on the bench in front of the door as he continued to work.

Finally the front door opened, and Beethoven, smiling though appearing exhausted, asked his publisher into his small studio.

The small studio looked like a hurricane had swept through, papers, half eaten food, and empty bottles of wine lay everywhere.

"Sorry to keep you waiting Herr ...., my mind and soul has been devoured by the notes."

Attempting to be as civil as possible, without revealing his impatience, "But maestro, I have been sitting outside your door for over three hours! Although I enjoyed your music, there are other composer's to see and visit."

The Master appeared puzzled.

"You mean to say that you have been waiting for me that long?"

"Yes, maestro."

"I am astonished!" he said.

"To me, the time seemed only a few minutes. Please excuse my terrible manners."

The genius is someone who can focus their particular gift like a pin-size arrow of light, the creation of their effort going beyond time and space.

I agree with Wittgenstein, genius is a power concentrated into a pin of poweful light, the so-called material world, merely a sideshow to the "real".

These are merely my musings, an oppotunity to express thoughts otherwise not said or written.

Emotional State: Waundering & Curious.

No comments: